Cites & Bytes @ Bailey

a library newsletter, a compendium of interesting tidbits, a communication tool....from Bailey Library @ Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania. (Site Feed)

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Read a Life

I really enjoy a good autobiography. I've had memoirs on my mind because I'm currently reading Barbara Bush's 1994, Memoir (available at E883.B87.A3.1994 in Bailey Library). Whether or not you agree with her politically, she has lead an intriguing life..from post World War II wife of a Yalie, to two years in China in the early 70s, to one term in the White House. Her experiences provide sometimes fascinating insights into political and social Washington, diplomatic life behind the Iron Curtain, and travel, travel, travel. Other autobiographies that have challenged and/or intrigued me and that quickly come to mind include Joan Anderson's A Year by the Sea: Thoughts of an Unfinished Woman (F72.C3.A73.1999x), Anne LaMott's Traveling Mercies, and Lauren F. Winner's Girl Meets God (the last two available in the Bailey Library Reading Room). Way back when (in high school actually), I read Eldridge Cleaver's Soul on Ice (E185.97.C6) and couldn't put it down. Another that touched me was James McBride's tribute to his mother, The Color of Water.
I'm always open to book suggestions...anyone have any autobiographies you'd recommend I read? I firmly believe that you can always learn something from another's life experiences!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are young adult literature, but I enjoyed the two autobiographies Beverly Cleary has written. The first, A Girl from Yamhill (Bio C623c) talked about her childhood, and the second, On My Own Two Feet (Bio C623cm), is about her early career as a librarian--before she became a best-selling children's author.

4:54 PM  
Blogger Jane Smith said...

Hmmmm...I'll have to look at these. I really enjoyed Beverly Cleary's early books when I was young.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I recently listened to My Life, by Bill Clinton. Bailey Library has it in the Reading Room both on CD and in print. The CD is read by Bill Clinton himself. The book is slightly self-gratifying, but a good "listen." I mostly enjoyed hearing his illustrations of political offices and political relationships. - Cate

1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This one looks good -- a new book on the Peabody sisters.

4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home