Cites & Bytes @ Bailey

a library newsletter, a compendium of interesting tidbits, a communication tool....from Bailey Library @ Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania. (Site Feed)

Friday, February 09, 2007

"What's My Age Again?"

That Blink 182 song seems to be taunting me right now, as I feel caught up in the worst junction of collegiate adulthood and juvenile anxiety over something entirely silly... more about that later. Now I would love to talk to you about this adventure known as college.

The collegiate experience is not really one distinctive episode; rather, it is a multitude of many little milestones and learning experiences combined together in a four (or perhaps more- YIKES!) year chunk of our lives. There are a variety of firsts that we are introduced to with the guidance of our peers, professors, and other mentors... Like Johnny Knoxville and Wee Man.

The first that I'm embarking upon is that of the all-important first research paper, which is only slightly less exciting than that first time you convince somebody to purposely papercut themselves for your entertainment.

While it may seem tempting to blow this off in favor of doing something more suitable to my maturity level, responsibility dictates that the best course of action is to just get it over with. After all, you have to pass your college writing classes to get that diploma because otherwise, you'll just be looking at a really expensive beer tab and the possibility of a future as a "petroleum product retail associate" (meaning that you'll get to pump gas for all the people you should have graduated with).

Now if that sounds good, maybe you shouldn't be reading this because the goal here is to do well on this paper and help some people by posting my notes on the process online.

The parameters of the paper are that it is supposed to be a 4 or 5 page double-spaced paper that uses at least two sources from the course's textbook and at least two library sources. My professor doesn't want any web sources used unless they are in addition to the other four sources. The general topic that I'm supposed to pursue is an open question that can be interpreted in pretty much any way.

Right now, the main difficulty that I face is the time constraint. It's due around the end of this month and I have all sorts of work to do. Yeah, I haven't even chosen what topic I want to pursue for this paper. My professor didn't have too many suggestions so I think that I may end up going to good old Bailey Library to ask someone who may be able to help.

I really am not looking forward to this because I'm not even sure how to start. Hopefully, I'll get some help on this because I sure as hell don't want to end up at Sheetz...

Stay tuned for the continuing adventures of ResearchGrrl! (Or if you just can't get enough check out some more blurbs at www.myspace.com/sruresearchgrrl OR coming soon chat with me on AIM!)

1 Comments:

Blogger Melba Tomeo said...

Dear SRUResearchGrrl,
We can help you! First, here is a link to a handy assignment calculator that will let you know just how much you can procrastinate -- http://www.lib.umn.edu/help/calculator/. Keep in touch, ResearchGrrl, and let us know how things are going.

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home