Cites & Bytes @ Bailey

a library newsletter, a compendium of interesting tidbits, a communication tool....from Bailey Library @ Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania. (Site Feed)

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Look no further and wonder no longer...


My most favorite Bailey Library IM conversation to date...

Student: sup
Librarian: nothing. sup with you.
Student: r u real?
Librarian: yes.
Student: k

I would like to assure all of you out there that we REALLY do offer reference assistance and general library information via IM. In fact, most of us are enjoying the heck out of it. So, whether you just want to know if we are out there or whether you have a research question or whether you need help with off-campus access to resources, IM us. WE LOVE IT!

P.S. - I am still learning IM lingo, so I don't actually know what sup means. I just assumed that it was a slurred version of what's up, so I went with it. Anyone out there who knows otherwise, please enlighten me.

5 Comments:

Blogger SRUResearchGrrl said...

Melba, yeah, "sup" is a late 90's version of "what's up." I believe the expression gained a lot of popularity from the original Scary Movie, which mocked the way that it was the big thing to ask the infamous question and drag it out as long as possible. "Sup" is at least a step in the less annoying direction.

It's okay Melba, I was ROFL because few people over the age of 25 do know what we yinns are talking about in IM's.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sup Research Girl! Thanks for the info. It was actually me (Cathy) and not Melba that posted the IM blog, but I appreciate the feedback. By the way, I love Scary Movie, along with most spoofs. Now that you mention it, I do remember lots of sups flying around.

3:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

By the way, what is ROFL?

3:58 PM  
Blogger SRUResearchGrrl said...

Cathy, I forgot that I was the one with the dual identity for a moment there. (Talk about a blonde moment. I can only imagine the kind of confusion secret agents experience...)

Some standard IM lingo to know is BRB (be right back), GTG (got to go), TTYL (talk to you later), LOL (laugh out loud), LMAO (laughing my as...paragus off), ROFL (rolling on floor laughing), and one that I think I am the only person to use GTP (got to pee)!

Some of it can be pretty silly once you know what it means because it's fairly straightforward.

4:21 PM  
Blogger Melba Tomeo said...

Hey, ResearchGrrl, This is Melba and I have a millennial type question. I don't know how to be friends! I know -- be kind and caring and a good listener. I mean in myspace. Facebook I have figured out, but I wanted to be your friend on myspace and I don't get it. Also any advice on settings? Am I really going to get invites from bands and comedians? That might be cool but I have a feeling if they are giving you the option to NOT get those invites, it must be annoying. Help an old lady out, would you?

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home