Cites & Bytes @ Bailey

a library newsletter, a compendium of interesting tidbits, a communication tool....from Bailey Library @ Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania. (Site Feed)

Monday, April 02, 2007

What the #@!% is going on?


Can someone please tell me what is up with the students of today and swearing? Let me explain... I sit at the reference desk with students buzzing around me stapling papers and punching holes. As usual, they carry on general conversations about their lives and, while standing not more that 2 feet from me, call each other "d*cks" and ask one another "what the f*ck?" Sometimes they even yell it across a distance to each other. I don't get this. I don't get it at all.


Before you all start grumbling that I am some old, lecturing prude, I swear (no pun intended) that I'm not. In fact, I am 35 and have been known to drop the F-bomb more than my mother would approve of. HOWEVER, and this is a big HOWEVER, there is a time and a place. The middle of a library, with the librarian sitting 2 feet from you, is not the time or the place. I don't get offended easily, and d*ck and f*ck in and of themselves don't make the hair on the back of my neck stand-up. HOWEVER, not knowing when it is appropriate and/or not caring does cause the hair on the back of my neck to stand-up.


I just don't get it. Do you actually think it is acceptable or do you really not give a sh*t?

2 Comments:

Blogger Melba Tomeo said...

Good question, Cate. Because of my age, I sometimes think students either a) find me invisible or b) want to see if I am shocked. (They are generally unaware of my ability to make a sailor blush -- and that's probably an insult to sailors, sorry.)

10:11 AM  
Blogger Dittman said...

You should see the language (and images!) that my students feel comfortable including in their essays. . . and the shock on their faces when I suggest that it might not be the best choice in a formal essay...

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home