Cites & Bytes @ Bailey

a library newsletter, a compendium of interesting tidbits, a communication tool....from Bailey Library @ Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania. (Site Feed)

Monday, March 03, 2008

My Recently Read


I just finished Arthur Simon's How Much is Enough? It asks if our consumer culture has stunted both our compassion and our ability to preserve the world's resources by focusing our attention on "dying with the most toys." Simon, the brother of the late Senator, Paul Simon, has dedicated his life's work to erasing hunger. His worldview is unapologetically Christian, and he challenges his readers to revolutionize their thinking and work to stay "behind the Joneses." It gave me a lot of food for thought. I've been struggling with the same questions myself, and the insights herein hit the spot. Simon draws on the teachings of many I respect--Deitrich Bonhoeffer, Ron Sider, Richard Foster--and, first and foremost, Jesus--and presents a compelling argument that less is more and a challenge to reexamine our priorities.

1 Comments:

Blogger Melba Tomeo said...

So true, Jane. It makes me ashamed to think of how much "stuff" I own when I think of the poverty and need in the world. Your thoughts and actions on the subject have changed my gift giving... and all of the recipients of charitable gifts have been happy, honored, and in total agreement about not needing another "thing."

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home