Cites & Bytes @ Bailey

a library newsletter, a compendium of interesting tidbits, a communication tool....from Bailey Library @ Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania. (Site Feed)

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Computers in Libraries, Day One...

The wind is howling, my head is spinning, and some guy ate my bagel at the hotel this morning. He thought his wife put it in the toaster for him. Funny. A busy day... I will try to be brief and link to the presentations when I can find them, although my internet connection is spotty at the Hotel in the Middle of Nowhere. This is a great conference, so much to soak in.... thanks to the Teaching, Learning, Technology Roundtable and the Library for supporting my attendance. Here's the official conference blog. Here's what I did today:
  • Keynote: Lee Rainie, Director, Pew Internet and American Life Project. Adores librarians. Showed an Ask the Ninja video on podcasting and sketched the current state of the internet based on the latest Pew studies. The prevalence of broadband has made the creation and sharing of multimedia content very common. I was especially interested in his comments on customization and the emergence of web "conversation"... rating, reviewing, commenting.
  • Alternative and Customized Search Engines. Good stuff: Exalead, Quintura, Kosmix, CrossEngine, Srchr, Scandoo, Rollyo, Swicki, Gigablast Custom Search, and of course, Yahoo! and Google customizables.
  • Building Collaboration, Communication and Community Online. Meredith Farkas talked about a number of different tools and techniques for outreach. A couple of things that sparked my interest were text message reference that comes to the desk as email and Blogpulse, which tracks blog discussions.
  • Mobile Search. This surprising session was jam-packed with information about mobile search, including web sites that will "refit" your library web page to fit a cell phone or PDA screen and tons of examples... too much to link here, I fear I am wearing out my welcome.
  • Cool Tools and Toolkits for Webmasters. Same here... excellent session, some tools I already use but many I hadn't heard of. Stop by the RockTechTalk blog in a day or two to hear more about these. These webmaster sessions were packed!
  • Information Design for the New Web.
  • Gadgets, Gadgets, Gadgets. This was entirely hilarious... check out one of the sites here... and see the usb rocket launching image above. How much fun would that be!

3 Comments:

Blogger Tina Shrader said...

Hi Melba! I wish I'd known you were going to be at CIL last week. I was there, but only for the Wednesday Institutional Repositories track. I hope you got a chance to see some of D.C. while you were here!

10:44 AM  
Blogger Melba Tomeo said...

Sorry, I missed you, Tina! No, I didn't see anything of DC unless it went by the shuttle bus window. CIL should provide some sort of database so you can see who is attending, but that is probably some major privacy issue. I thought it was a really good conference this year.

2:39 PM  
Blogger Tina Shrader said...

Then you didn't see any of D.C. at all, probably, given that Crystal City is in Virginia and not D.C. (As D.C. residents will tell you most emphatically. :))

I enjoyed the conference, although I wound up hearing a lot of stuff I already knew. I suppose that's relatively normal, though. I did come back with a few good nuggets of information.

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home