Cites & Bytes @ Bailey

a library newsletter, a compendium of interesting tidbits, a communication tool....from Bailey Library @ Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania. (Site Feed)

Monday, April 30, 2007

Withdrawn from the Collection Today....

Cheryl Downing, School Nurse by Ruth MacLeod (1964) that concludes with this statement:

"Suspended in a sea of rapture, Cheryl's only rational thought was that now she could look forward to the most wonderful career of all--that of a wife helping her husband achieve his highest ambitions."

Yuck. I couldn't find any cover illustration for Cheryl Downing, so used one of the more ubiquitous Cherry Ames (accused by Nancy Drew of not being able to hold a job, in some parody I read.) The Cheryl Downing book is part of a series called "Career-Romance for Young Moderns," which also includes such titles as Introducing Patti Lewis, Home Economist, Allison Day: Weather Girl, Tomboy Teacher, and Magic in Her Voice (a tale of a telephone ad-taker.) I strongly suspect they all conclude with suspension in a sea of rapture when Mr. Right takes them away from the horror of working for a living. Let's think of some sequels!

5 Comments:

Blogger Melba Tomeo said...

Let me get it started: Cheryl Downing, Frustrated Housewife.

6:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Way to go Melba. That book needed withdrawn. The quote actually made me get a knot in my stomach. Did women actually say things like that at one time?

11:29 AM  
Blogger Melba Tomeo said...

Not this woman.

Here's my next suggestion for a sequel: Cheryl Downing, Bitter Divorcee or I Can't Believe I Put That Bastard Through Medical School.

Poor Cheryl! How about Cheryl Downing, Getting Her Groove Back? :)

11:45 AM  
Blogger Addie Harris said...

VERY misleading to post a Cherry Ames cover since she was not like the girls in the career romance books you list.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Melba Tomeo said...

Quite true, my apologies.

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home