Cites & Bytes @ Bailey

a library newsletter, a compendium of interesting tidbits, a communication tool....from Bailey Library @ Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania. (Site Feed)

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Computers in Libraries, Day Three...

Headed home today... so only a few sessions attended. Here's what I did today:
  • Keynote: World Digital Libraries, John Van Oudenaren, Library of Congress. The Library of Congress is planning and piloting the World Digital Library, a multi-language attempt to digitize cultural artifacts. Read more here, watch the video...
  • 30 Search Tips. Mary Ellen Bates is terrific and she did not disappoint with this rapid-fire list of search engines and sites. I will blog these separately, but Exalead is her favorite...
  • Catalogs/OPACs of the Future. Roy Tennant and Tim Spalding from Library Thing. Bottom line: Integrated library systems have not kept up with user expectations. Good federated search and integrated content are the desirables.
  • Improving Content with Customer Conversations. This was very interesting... the quantification of what users are typing in your search box, how many users go directly to the search box, mapping your content to the search terms, etc. I will be sharing this with the Web Advisory Group.
  • Innovative Tools for Reference Service. Free software to build your own downloadable library toolbar and free software to track your reference transactions and build a knowledge base. I dashed out before this one was over so I could make my flight home.
What a good experience, even with the minor inconveniences... I learned a lot and will have to spend the rest of the semester trying to digest it... and guess what, they listed me as a conference blogger here... I feel like I am sitting at the cool kids' lunch table!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home