Cites & Bytes @ Bailey

a library newsletter, a compendium of interesting tidbits, a communication tool....from Bailey Library @ Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania. (Site Feed)

Sunday, March 09, 2008

Recently Read...

I have been busily reading and have a long list that I hope to ration out. OK, so a lot of them were picture books, new stuff in the IMC... I will tell you all about my delirious descent into romantic novels in a later post, I feel a little swoon coming on.


Orange Pear Apple Bear by Emily Gravett. A novel in seven words... and four of them are in the title. Cute, whimsical, sure to make a child smile.











At Night by Jonathan Bean. A tale of a little girl who can't sleep at night, lovely art work, and I liked the images of her mother watching out for her. Reminded me a little of Tar Beach.










The Arrival by Shaun Tan. An excellent graphic novel, mysterious and evocative. An immigrant (from where?) leaves his family and comes to America maybe? The artwork is off the hook... check it out, literally.









The Frog Who Wanted to See the Sea by Guy Billout.
After an adventurous trip to the wide, wide sea, a little frog decides that there is no place like home, goes back to her little pond, and two weeks later takes off for real (my favorite part).






Emma Jean Lazarus Fell Out of a Tree by Lauren Tarshis.
Emma Jean is a unique, intelligent, detached little girl who attempts to set things right in the social morass of the seventh grade. Enjoyable.









A Week in the Woods by Andrew Clements. Uber rich kid, neglected by his parents, makes a bad impression on his new rural school and then tries to correct his course. Survival elements involve a class trip, getting lost, etc. Hatchet fans might like this, but it lacks the thrill of that book's fast-paced action. The hero buys $1,100 worth of survival equipment online... I didn't feel the suspense of his dilemma.






I Am Not Joey Pigza by Jack Gantos. Joey Pigza, a well drawn character with ADD, must adapt when his errant father returns with a new identity and new plans for the family. Poor Joey... and I mean that, it's sad to me, the grownups in his life are a bunch of jerks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home