Cites & Bytes @ Bailey

a library newsletter, a compendium of interesting tidbits, a communication tool....from Bailey Library @ Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania. (Site Feed)

Thursday, September 11, 2008

If you like shocking endings...



The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry --This book has been called a "hero's journey for women." It's a story about two missing women, but it's really about three missing women because one of them must revisit her past in order to find herself. Disturbing and intriguing, this book is so craftily written that I forced myself to put it down so it wouldn't end. Check it out from the Bailey Library Reading Room......


Loving Frank by Nancy Horan --Mamah Borthwick Cheney was an intelligent, lovely, educated woman who entered into a scandalous love affair with Frank Lloyd Wright in Chicago in the early 1900's. This fictionalized account is based on historical events. Mamah and her husband commissioned Wright to build them a home. Mamah and Wright left their spouses and children and lived together in Europe and then returned to live at Wright's home, Taliesin, in Wisconsin where the affair ended in tragedy. My sister recommended this book to me. I don't think I would have picked it up on my own, but I was drawn into it and had to keep reading. The ending will floor you! (Bailey library has a copy in the Reading Room.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home