Cites & Bytes @ Bailey

a library newsletter, a compendium of interesting tidbits, a communication tool....from Bailey Library @ Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania. (Site Feed)

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Recently Read Romantically...

I believe I promised some romance earlier in the week... :)
I took a little turn into the romance world, infrequently traveled territory for me, over break and read the following:

And Only to Deceive by Tasha Alexander. Here's the thing... I like a good mystery and am pretty much in when it comes to Lady Emily this and Lord This-n-That so I was pleased to start reading this series about a conveniently widowed British noblewoman with no love for rigid Victorian society rules. I am not a fan, however, of the type of plotting that makes you want to scream at the main character for being so dense. Lord Hargreaves isn't a murderer, stupid, he's a rich hottie and seems to be in love with you for some inexplicable reason. It reminds me of soap opera plots that rely on a never ending series of misunderstandings. Or another of my least favorite plot devices, the woman who trips over a root while running away from monsters/killers, etc. Excuse me, I rant...

A Poisoned Season by Tasha Alexander. That was so annoying that I read the second one in the series and liked it much better. Lady Emily is interested in studying classical culture and art and this time flirts with a cat burglar, who pops in and out of her boudoir with the regularity of a dutiful upstairs maid. But at least she and Lord Hargreaves have agreed to be engaged. The characters are kind of fun and Lady Emily's dragon of a mother softens a little in this volume. I'm actually planning on reading the next one, but I might hide it inside of a graphic novel or something.




The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory. A ripping good historical novel, with its share of historical controversy of course, but I totally enjoyed the story of Mary Boleyn, the first sister to warm the bed of Henry VIII. I saw the movie shortly afterward and much preferred the book, which had a real flavor of dark, bloody conspiracies and desperation.

So, that sums up my brief foray into romance novels.... I'm currently reading Out by Natsuo Kirino, wherein a woman kills her husband and her three friends cut up the body and leave it all over Tokyo. Not so lovey-dovey.

Read any good books lately? The invitation is still out... send us your reviews and we will happily add you to the blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home